I'm going to bring up the homeless.
Don't get me wrong here as I have a *definate* opinion on homelessness (and if you have been to or live in here in Ptld, we have some "homelessness issues") but this is just going to be some of my recent run-ins:
1) We have groups of ppl that go to where the homeless are and feed them. Take them whatever they need - food, clothing, bedding, etc. There is one such group that feeds dinner to a bunch of folks just a few blocks from where I work. I drive by and see the ppl that are feeding the homeless picking up the garbage that the feed-ees are just throwing on the ground, even though there are garbage cans provided for them.
2) There are always ppl hanging on the corners near the freeway entrances begging. Often it's the same ppl, same spot, every day. I believe they 'stake their claim' on a specific corner. I see the same guy out there, day and night, daily, no matter the weather with his sign, hunched over looking pathetic. I've been up close to this fella, often. One day I see him in the local Fred's with a bag o' change for the CoinStar machine with a lady that is often a few blocks down at the next ramp. They are laughing and joking and talking about their "haul" for the day. Hoping they made enough to pay the truck payment this month. He wasn't hunched over a'tall and had on more expensive Nike's than what I wear and/or can afford.
3) I was walking into Powells one evening and got hit up for some change from a fairly young lady sitting in front with her friend that has his guitar. I tell her I don't have any small change but the bar right around the corner is hiring for a dishwasher and sign in the window has today's date on it. She started cussing me out because I wouldn't just give her some larger bills.
4) On any given night you can see various young people around town holding signs that say some derivative of "spare any change for beer". Personal favorites so far: ' Alcoholic in Training, need money for school' and 'betcha can't hit me w/a quarter'.
5) Sitting at the corner waiting on the light to get to the freeway one night we (both lanes) had to wait on this hunched over, sad looking fella walking across the fwy entrance to stand on a corner where there was already another not-as-sad-looking fella standing. The 1st fella got angry. Started cussin' and whatnot and decided to go to the off-ramp instead of the on-ramp where they were both currently standing. But he was really agitated. Kept pacing back to yell some more. Finally they ended up in a fist fight over the corner. Neither of them looked too sad then.